Indulge in the rich and creamy flavors of this Italian-American penne alla vodka recipe. This pasta dish combines penne pasta, tomato sauce, and vodka for a unique and flavorful experience. The addition of heavy cream adds a luxurious richness to the dish, making it a perfect choice for a special occasion or date night. With a prep time of just 10 minutes and a cook time of 25 minutes, this recipe is quick and easy to make. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and a side of garlic bread for a complete meal. This recipe serves 4-6 people and can be easily doubled or tripled for a larger crowd.
Creamy Penne Alla Vodka
Penne alla vodka is a delicious Italian-American pasta dish that is made with penne pasta, tomato sauce, and vodka. The vodka adds a unique and subtle flavor to the dish, and the addition of cream makes it rich and creamy.
- 1 lb Penne pasta
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Small onion diced
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup Vodka
- 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- basil for garnish
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Pour in the vodka and cook until it has reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Flavor: The vodka adds a subtle and unique flavor to the dish that complements the tomato sauce and cream.Reduces acidity: The acidity of the tomatoes can sometimes be overpowering, but the vodka helps to balance it out and reduce the acidity of the sauce.Thins the sauce: The vodka helps to thin out the tomato sauce and make it easier to coat the pasta.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the penne according to the package instructions until al dente.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked penne to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Garnish with basil and cheese and serve hot.